If you’re like me, things that interest you include (but are not limited to):
- laughing at yourself (or things that you find funny but in reality are only quasi-amusing)
- ridiculousness in general
If you read that list and replied, “Oh yes, that’s totally me!”, you’ll love Jen Lancaster. Jen is an author who not only writes books, but has a highly hysterical blog – Jennsylvania. Not gonna lie, Jen’s books are my guilty pleasure. Along with the mountain of other books I have out of the library at the moment, Jen’s most recent book (If You Were Here: A Novel) is now ready for me to pick up and I can’t wait to go get it.
Jen’s books are autobiographical, but not in a stuffy way. They are totally down to earth and I feel like if we met, we’d totally be BFFs. She’s hysterically funny in her descriptions of life scenarios (my favorites are her irate letters to her rude neighbors and her chronicles of her time with a personal trainer) and pokes fun at herself in a way that every woman should. The most recent book is her first work of fiction and after reading some reviews, I’m a bit nervous that it’s not going to reinforce what I’ve come to expect from her. We’ll see. I’ll make sure to keep y’all posted.
Jen’s book list includes the following:
- Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office
- Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl’s Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me?
- Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist’s Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer
- Pretty in Plaid: A Life, A Witch, and a Wardrobe, or, the Wonder Years Before the Condescending,Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart-Ass Phase
- My Fair Lazy: One Reality Television Addict’s Attempt to Discover if Not Being A Dumb Ass is the New Black; Or, A Culture-Up Manifesto
Now, if those subtitles don’t at least elicit a chuckle (or at the very least an increased sense of curiosity), I honestly don’t know what will.
Go forth and read, my friends.
Like this? Then you’ll love my other book reviews. Check them out by clicking here.