Meal time at our house can be a bit challenging. The JA loves big, hearty meals with salad on the side. I generally lean toward smaller portions of all-around healthier food. We’re both big fans of filling, easy meals whose leftovers can be used for lunch.
Stuffed peppers is one of our favorites. We’ve made them entirely with meat, a quinoa/black bean version, and a mushroom/rice version. This weekend, we decided to compromise. This recipe was a big hit – he got his red meat, I got my grains and we have an extra pepper left for someone’s lunch!
Protein Packed Peppers
Makes 5 peppers
1 lb. 85% ground beef, browned (any meat can be used here, we just used this because we had it on hand)
1/2 c. quinoa, cooked per instructions
1 1/2 – 2 c. veggie spaghetti sauce
1/2 c. taco shredded cheese
5 medium green peppers
1. Brown beef (and drain fat/grease) while cooking quinoa and preheating oven to 350.
2. Cut tops off peppers, empty insides, and clean. (If desired, cut tops into small slices and use them in the filling.)
3. Mix beef, quinoa, spaghetti sauce, cheese, and pepper tops in a medium bowl.
4. Scoop filling into hollowed peppers.
5. Cover peppers and cook for 30-35 min.
6. If desired, sprinkle with more cheese and return to oven for approx. 5 min or until cheese melts.
Note: heating oven to 350 yields crunchy peppers. If you like your peppers softer, increase heat or parboil them before stuffing.