Yesterday I showed you pictures of these bad boys.
I’m a huge fan of the chocolate/peppermint combination, as it seems are many others in my life. Even those who aren’t completely on board couldn’t refute the deliciousness of these cookies. So today, I’m sharing the recipe with you!
Whole Wheat Peppermint Chocolate Cookies (adapted from this recipe by Two Peas and Their Pod)
1 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (or, if you’re like me, one 11.5 oz bag)
30ish Starlight Mints, crushed
Sea salt, for sprinkling on cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat . Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Form chocolate chip dough in tablespoon-sized balls. Roll dough in crushed candy cane or sprinkle crushed candy cane pieces over dough once it’s placed on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle sea salt over each cookie.
4. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until edges just start to turn golden brown. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
– Make sure candy cane pieces are small, but not completely crushed.
– If greasing the baking sheet, make sure to do so before each batch.
– Be prepared for your first batch to look a hot mess. I had melted peppermint all over the place! To prevent this, push candy cane pieces into chocolate chip dough and try to keep it toward the middle of the cookie as opposed to the sides.